Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Carbon Fast for Lent: Composting, Anyone?

The Third Tuesday in Lent
“Compost. Put the nutrients from food waste back into the soil — not into a methane emitting landfill.”

Have I mentioned we’ve had 90 inches of snow this season? I’m not sure what composters do in winter. As a longtime apartment dweller I haven’t really given much thought to composting at all. But there’s a community garden nearby: my goal with the spring thaw is to check out if they have a compost heap (if that’s the right word) and if they allow neighbors to use it.

Today’s miztvah: What odd and unexpedted action could you take to reduce your carbon footprint?


3 comments:

Emily said...

I've been bad about composting, too, and we even have a bin next to our house. I think it's time to get back on the wagon, though.

Happily, there are ways to compost through all seasons, even the crazy snowy winter we've been having. Check out this site for handy tips on how to compost if you live in an apartment, etc. It's a Canadian site, so I'm assuming they know all about how to handle rough winters. :) Good luck!

jen x said...

Emily, thanks for the tip!

I also stumbled on an intriguing indoor composting device on Small Space Living. I don't have the necessary $299 to buy one, but I thought the small size and indoor potential was genius :-)

Emily said...

You're welcome, and thank you for the tip about that composter. I'm going to have to save my pennies and get one!