Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Carbon Fast for Lent: Dress Your Appliances

Tuesday in Holy Week
“Put an insulation jacket on your hot water tank. If everyone does, we’ll cut enough carbon dioxide to fill 148,000 hot air balloons.”

I confess: I am not a homeowner and probably would not recognize a hot water tank if it walked up and shook my hand. But I’m confident that folks with water tanks know what they are and are willing to dress them in a spiffy jacket.

I’m off to the airport bright and early. I’m taking public transit to Nearby Big City, then two environmentally unfriendly flights. I decided to use Carbonfund.org to purchase an offset. It was less than 5 bucks, and I picked energy efficiency as the area I wanted to fund. (My other choices were reforestation and renewable energy. I decided reduction is the area to which I’m not contributing elsewhere.)

Today’s mitzvah:
Put some clothes on that tank!


No comments: