Sunday, March 23, 2008

Carbon Fast for Lent: Grand Finale

Sunday, March 23: Easter Day
“Replace your missing bulb with an energy-saving lightbulb. Over its lifetime, you will save 60kg of carbon dioxide per year and up to £60. Make a personal pledge to serve others by pursuing a more sustainable way of life.”

Today we conclude the Carbon Fast for Lent by returning to the very first activity. We began the fast by removing a lightbulb from a conspicuous location and living without it for the duration of Lent. Today we replace that bulb to acknowledge Lent is over — but replace it with a sustainable bulb to symbolize that our commitment continues into the new season. How fitting this falls so closely to spring as well: a new beginning for all of us.

I’m excited to replace my bulb (its absence has been bugging me all Lent) but I’ll have to wait until late tonight to do so since I’m writing this from a hotel room in NYC and I’ll spend most of Sunday traveling. I hope all of you are spending Easter someplace other than airports! I’ll post some post–Carbon Fast thoughts on the blog Monday. In the meantime: a very hppy Easter and (belated) happy spring to all.

Today’s mitzvah:
Replace that bulb!

No comments: