Monday, August 4, 2008

Charity Piggybank Update: July Totals

I would be willing to give a contribution from the piggy bank to anyone who can make the summer slow down! But in the interim: it’s time for the monthly Daily Mitzvah Charity Piggy Bank update. In keeping with the blog’s theme, this is a small way to make a difference in a big world (even on a budget). Here are the July totals:
  • Proportional giving: $37.13
  • Savings account interest, with thanks to ING!: $8.10
  • Found money: $0.40
  • Rebates for BYO grocery bags: $1.60
  • Balance forward: $246.31
  • NEW TOTAL: $293.54

Today’s mitzvah: Consider creating a “charity piggy bank” to collect small sums for a year-end charitable contributions. And start thinking about what I should do with this in December, since the year is zoomin’ by!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Congrats on the continued great savings! I've been sort of unintentionally setting aside all of my loose change, and you've started to convince me that I should do something similar with it.

I'll leave the charity decision up to you, but also note that I'm pretty sure I'll go with something with a more local/regional focus. I have absolutely nothing against more world-wide aid organizations, and fully support supporting them, but I also believe strongly in working from the local ground up, as it were. :)

Maybe something like Second Harvest Wisconsin, Dream Bikes, or AIDS Network.

jen x said...

Emily, thanks for the feedback. I've wanted to open this up to people kind enough to read the blog since these monthly posts (and all of you) are what's keeping me on track :-)

Of the 3 you mentioned, Dream Bikes is new to me. Off to check it out!