Sunday, March 2, 2008

Charity Piggy Bank: February Totals

No Carbon Fast for Lent post today since it’s Sunday. This is convenient since it’s also time to look back on February and see how much loose change made it into Daily Mitzvah’s charity piggy bank. In keeping with the blog’s theme, this is a small way to make a difference in a big world. I’m also adding a new item: the 10¢ rebate my grocery offers when shoppers use their own bags. (My Baggus just arrived!) Here are the last month’s totals:
  • Proportional giving: $45.34
  • Savings account interest: $.86
  • Found money (not much this month): $.27
  • Rebates for using my own grocery bags: $.40
  • Change jar (not full yet! I keep using dimes for sodas): $0.00
  • Balance forward: $30.68
  • NEW TOTAL: $77.55

Cool, this could add up to something noticeable by the end of the year. I’ll continue to post an update each month and keep a running total on the blogs upper right column, with the goal of making a contribution to one or more nonprofits at the end of the year.

Today’s mitzvah: Consider creating a “charity piggy bank” to collect small sums for a year-end charitable contribution.

2 comments:

Hops said...

I lurrve this idea. And I'm totally going to steal it once the whole gainful employment thing works out.

jen x said...

Steal away!

When Gainful Employment arrives (which it will!) I hope you're planning to send out a big honking announcement.

I'm rooting for you :-)